Monday, July 28, 2008

First Day of School

Today was the first day we had students to teach. My first lesson was, I really should have brushed up on my Spanish before I came! The students I am teaching are 2nd graders who haven't started school yet this year (so 1st graders who have not been in school since the first week of June). I have 16 students.. Wow! They are sweet and funny, and a little mischievious. We worked on coloring our face, doing Number Corner (calendar) and I taught them about geometry. I know my dad is laughing about that, I think I got a C- in that class in High School. We only had to name the 3-D shapes and talk about faces, edges and corners. At the end of the day, I think some of them got it! I was so busy I forgot to take pictures of the class with the kids there.. tomorrow (manana). Here are a few photos of the room I am working in at the Colombus School (it is a private school and the parents pay for the kids to go there).


We went out to eat at the mall. We ate at a restaurant called "Crepes and Waffles". It was Excellent. I had crepes with ham, cheese, and asparagus sauce. For dessert I had ice-cream with a hot chocolate syrup on the top. The chocolate here is really yummy. So, for your pleasure, I took a photo before I ate it.



The bill total for 5 of us to eat an entree, dessert and drinks was $20,000.00 (don't choke though, it is pesos). So, Aaron (he is a teacher from Washington who went to Central in Ellensburg and now teaches in Bogota) told us to divide by 2,000. Anyway, I think dinner cost me $10.00 not too bad! The restaurant employs only single moms. The owner is famous for this and is very strict on who he hires. It is a Colombian chain of restaurants. After dinner, we walked around the mall. Tomorrow we will stay after school for a dance and dinner. I hear the salsa dancing is awesome.

P.S. For all of you worried about my security... we feel very safe here. It is not at all like you hear in the media. :)

1 comment:

Angie said...

YUM!!!!! That looks delightful! I am glad you are having so much fun and enjoying your time there! I can't wait to read more! I told Braeden you were in Colombia and he said, "oh no, why did she go there?!?! We will miss her at Foothills."