Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Colombus School

So.. this is day #3 at school. Yesterday and today were better than Monday. I am getting to know the kids and learning more Spanish as time goes on.

This is Daniel and Rafael playing a geometry game. I have been pretty successful teaching them my Geometry lessons each day.

This is Mariana...she went home after the first day and made a triangular prism for me. I taught them the names of the 3-D shapes on Monday...so darn cute!

This is me and Laura Ar., I have two Lauras and their last names both started with A... go figure! She is a cutie and tries very hard to help me understand what she is saying in Spanish. She wanted me to play the game "Last Shape in Wins" with her. Today I bribed them with a sucker.. they love American candy!


WEDNESDAY

Today is also the day we had the dance and artisan fair in the gym. So.. were able to drink alcohol in the school gym.. what??

This is a picture of Aaron, a teacher from Chicago, and I drinking Pilsner in the school gym! This would NEVER fly at Foothills!


Here I am dancing (don't fall down honey.. ) I tried to Salsa.. but failed sadly. I think this local guy was thrilled to dance with me anyway!




My White River friends and I all enjoyed this local restaurant.

Last night we went to a few local shops and did some shopping for souvenirs. It was hard to order and the menu was in Spanish and wow.. the only things I could figure out were eggs and chicken.. haha. I ordered a steak and it was GREAT. The steak came with fries but they left much to be desired. I also bought some Colombian candy for the kids. I have many funny stories to tell...


One thing that I know all of you would love to know about is the bathrom. So, here in Colombia they have sewer issues (Hey honey.. maybe we can move here?). Because of this, you must NOT flush any toilet paper. In every bathroom there is a garbage can in the stall where you put the toilet tissue. So, how long do you think it would take you to change that habit??


Another funny thing here is when you go to a restaurant, you can't put your purse on the floor. It is considered bad luck. So, there is a hook under the table you have to use. If you forget, they come and do it for you.


Tomorrow.. a day of beauty at the spa.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your posts! Looks like you are having a great time :-)