Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Day of Beauty


Today Janis came to my room and taught Number Corner for me. She is such a great person and an excellent teacher. Here, I am considered a "consultant"... sounds so fancy! I might have to add that to my email tagline. The kids continue to work better together. Here, they are not really taught to work in groups or discuss ideas as a group. They have a hard time listening to me and I have been frustrated by that. We seem to be finishing most of the math plans each day, so I figure I must be doing something right.


Today we had a "Day of Beauty" at a local spa. It was very inexpensive for all the usual things. A pedicure was about $8 and a manicure was $6. I had a facial ($35), a bikini wax ($12.50) and also had them put on eyelash extensions that are supposed to last 2-3 weeks ($15).. so all that for a lot less that in the US. I should have had my hair done too, a cut and color was about $30 and they are famous for their "blow outs", where they blow dry your hair.

We ate dinner last night at a bar in town and walked through a small park where they had more local street vendors. They are very aware we are Americans.. let me tell you, blonde here is pretty out of the "norm". So they try hard to get you to pay them a lot for their crafts.


I am adding some photos of the school... Here is a photo of the main hallway. The small light you see at the top of the photo is the 6th grade end of the school and the bottom floor is K4 (which means they have Kindergarten for 4 year olds). The high school and middle school are in different buildings. I have walked up and down these steps many times this week and with the altitude, you can really get winded. I am sure I would get used to it eventually!



Here is the place we are staying.


These are my roommates: Debbie and Dora.
And the room where we are staying.

No comments: