Sunday, August 3, 2008

Ciao Colombia!

Saturday morning- 3:15 AM... we got up and got on our bus for the last time. Joseph made us all coffee, and several of the ladies wanted to take him home.

He has been here everyday to get us breakfast and whatever we needed. There is another funny story to share about Joseph and me, but you will have to ask me in person. Janis told us before we came that we would make lots of new memories to take home, but I hadn't planned on being the one with the funniest memory!



We turned in our room key.. Saint Christopher? All of the keys were attached to a figure of someone: Mary, Jesus, an Angel, etc. So we ended up referring to them as people on the trip. "Don't forget to grab Mary before you go", etc. It was amusing... so Dora had to have a photo with him.

When we got to the Medellin airport, there was already a big line. You must go first and get your passport stamped and pay the tourist tax. Then we stood in line to have our bags checked. Lucky me... this time I was pulled for "inspection" which meant a guard looked through my whole bag. He was polite and since I did not speak Spanish... he didn't question me about anything, he zipped my bag up and sent me on my way. We stood in another line to check our bags through to Portland and it took them awhile to figure that out. We then had to get through customs again and in line for security. When all that was done, they were loading our plane and we had no time left. We went back through Panama City and headed to Houston. On the flight from Panama to Houston a 2 year old named Pablo sat behind me, he enjoyed kicking my seat the whole way. In Houston we played the whole game of standing in line AGAIN. We had to go through immigration and customs to get back into the United States. The line was huge. We had less than 2 hours and we used every minute. The plane luckily waited for us and we all made it on. Lucky me, I sat by Alden, another 2 year old. This time at least, he fell asleep.

In Portland we all went and collected our luggage. Good news, no one lost a bag! We said Ciao (apparently, Adios is more formal) to all our new friends along the way... I took a plane from Portland to Seattle and met Marc and the kids.
Mom and family are happy to all be home! What a great trip. This week I will post a few more things as I remember them. Thanks to everyone for caring for my family, their thoughts and prayers during my excursion. I had a great time. Good news... we all want to go back next year and do it again in Bogota!

No comments: